Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Today is going well so far. This week's going well actually. My eating has been on plan and I've exercised the past two mornings and feel great about that. My brother and his GF are in town this week, we saw them at my folks' place last night and they'll be coming for dinner at our place tonight. We're going to barbecue. We picked up some beautiful, lean, pork loin last night. It's been marinating in fresh lime juice and fresh basil since last night. We're also having grilled peppers and squash and stir fried mushrooms (portabello) and broccoli with garlic, balsamic vinegar and ginger. It should be really tasty and healthy. Living with a chef definitely has it's advantages at times like this. We got a beautiful seedless watermelon and a huge cantaloupe for dessert. One of the nice things about entertaining at home is the controlling of the calories. I find that the bad carbs are so hard to control when I eat on the "outside."

Yesterday's Progress Prompt, a day late and a dollar short:

Kraft, one of the largest food industries in the nation, announced this month that it's reducing amounts of unhealthy fats and oils in their food products. Do you think it will really make any difference in our battle against obesity? Why or why not?

I'm not sure which "nation" that Kraft are one of the largest food producers of but I'm going to assume that the prompt writers are American. I think that this move, which is being thoroughly documented at the Ban Trans Fat site, is good but it's not happening soon enough. These products provide a direct health threat to everyone, not just obese people. Reducing the amount of saturated fats in all food products will benefit everyone, not just folks who are losing weight. I urge everyone to read the data on trans fat. As I've said before, it's frightening stuff but you're always better off being well informed than you are being ill.

No comments: