Sunday, May 25, 2003

after the rain

I half expected to wake up this morning feeling lousy with a food hangover. It had been so long since I'd had anything like M&M's that I wasn't sure how my body would react. Luckily, I woke up feeling good. I'm not sure how things will measure up this week after the free day yesterday but I'm not worrying about it too much. As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, I'm really trying to keep my focus on overall health and not get too bogged down by the numbers. The numbers are always in the back of my mind now though so that's good, but I'm not getting obsessive.

Today is back on track day. I think that the rain has let up. I awoke to the sound of the fog horn from the harbour and it's quite misty outside right now. I plan to work out today and get some more gardening in. Our house is over 50 years old and the yard was (I think) basically neglected for the 30 years prior to us purchasing the house in 2000. We've done some work on it but there's a long way to go. I've been focusing on the flower beds and my hunny is working on the lawn. The rest of it will have to wait until we can afford to do some major work (like ripping out the entire back yard). I think that there was a hedge along the back fence at one point. The bushes are overgrown and about 12 feet high now. We had a 100 year old willow that had to be taken out last year (unfortunately it was rotting) but we didn't have the stump removed. We'd like to do that but, you know, it all costs money. The nice thing about owning your own home is that you always have something to spend money on. Anyway, I'm going to move some stuff around today if the rain holds off. It should be easy to do while the ground is nice and soft and muddy. I notice this year that the gardening isn't as exhausting to me as it was last summer. It's also a good way to get some extra exercise in and I'm enjoying being outside again.

No comments: