Tuesday, May 20, 2003

deviations

This week is going great, food-wise and activity-wise. I’m eating really really well and exercising every day. Last week I met all of my goals and have challenged myself to keep them again this week. The water thing is always a struggle and I want to continue to exercise at least 6 days out of 7 because I feel so much better when I do it!

I am not exactly sure what happened to me at the end of April / beginning of May. Throughout January, February and March, I didn’t have a lot of trouble staying on program. I mean, like everyone, I had occasional slip-ups (personally, I like to call them “treats” and then I get over it and get back on track right after) but nothing like what happened for those couple of weeks earlier this month. I got back on track last Monday and feel so much better for it.

I half-suspect that I was fighting some weird bug or something last month. This bug may have weakened my resistance. This may sound like an excuse (and hey, let’s face it, it is) but I didn’t go whole-hog off program. I just lost some of my consistency. I’ve learned that consistency is probably the most important part of this journey.

I may also just been hit with an attack of the lazies and spring fever got the best of me. Whatever it was, it seemed to be an epidemic because I noticed that many of my loser buddies experiencing difficulties around the same time. Being back on track feels so good though that I think you may need to deviate from your program occasionally (for brief moments anyway) to help remind yourself why it is that you’re doing this in the first place.

I know that the deviations are what are going to keep me on this for the rest of my life! What I try to do now is plan them out and time them. For example, if I want ice cream, we’ll go to Dairy Queen for a cone and eat it outside of the house. I’m not bringing a litre of ice cream into the house because I’ll just want eat the whole thing. A small, measured amount out of the house fulfils the craving and gives me a treat without leading me into too much temptation.

No comments: