Thursday, May 08, 2003

complimentary situations

Compliments are so nice. You can wake up feeling fat and frumpy and stuffed up and yucky and a few little words can seemingly whisk all those negative feelings away. They can't do much for the stuffy nose but even the snot seems more tolerable after some compliments.

Yesterday, I received several compliments on my outfit. I was really happy about this as I was feeling thin already and it reinforced these feelings. Not that I need reinforcement though. I know that I'm feeling better, I know that I'm healthier today than I was four months ago. It's just nice sometimes to have someone else notice the fruits of your labour. And as we know, this kind of work requires much fruit and labour!

This morning when I woke up, I could hardly lift my head off the pillow. I was tired, my eyes did not want to open and my sinuses were completely plugged. I knew it wasn't allergies, it felt like a cold. My head felt like it weighed a tonne. I didn't work out this morning because I could barely walk a straight line. I did get my butt into the shower though, got ready for work and dragged myself into work. While I was still in my jammies and crawling around upstairs, my hunny came home to pick up something he forgot (he drives cab and leaves the house at 5:30, he comes back at 7:30 for breakfast, picks me up and takes me to work so when I heard him come in at 6:15, I was surprised). I went to the top of the stairs to see what was happening. He popped his head around the corner to tell me what was going on and stopped, mid-sentence and said, "you look a lot thinner standing there. Your legs look great. Must be from all the bike riding." He also said something about trying to work my day so that I could talk to folks from at the top of staircases all day but I digress.

Compliments are wonderful. They can make you feel warm and fuzzy inside (after the requisite: "scanning for sarcasm...it's clean!" ** exercise) and help to keep you on the right track.

** see The Simpsons - Summer of 4 ft. 2 (season 7, episode 25).

No comments: