Monday, March 31, 2003

Here is this week's Progress Prompt:

The size of an airplane seat is always an issue with overweight passengers. Write about your recent airplane ride. Was it a positive or negative experience?

The last time I actually flew anywhere, which was in late 2000, I had an okay experience. I make it habit, when boarding the plane, to ask one of the flight attendants for a seat-belt extender. I have never had anyone be rude to me or refuse this request. Sometimes, depending the size of the plane, the seat can be a little snug but with an extender, I don't have trouble with the belt. I also don't "spill" over onto anyone's seat around me but I do see how this can be a problem for some people. During my last flight in fact, once the plane was boarded, the attendant asked me if I wanted to switch spots (the flight was only 1/2 full) and I was able to move to a seat with more leg room, in a row by myself. I hadn't asked to be moved, she just offered and it was much appreciated. By the way, when I can, I fly Air Canada or her partners (I've only ever flown with Canada and the States) and they have always been gracious and courteous to me. I'm hoping that the next time I fly, I won't need the extender at all.

No comments: