Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Hump Day already! Here's the Wednesday Weigh-In, courtesy of Carla:

Portion Distortion
1. True or false: American portion sizes are significantly smaller than portion sizes around the world. What makes you believe that?

I can't speak to the size of American portions but I know that in restaurants, Canadian portions are huge. I can't say that in other western countries that the portions are sized differently because I haven't travelled outside of North America, yet. I do know that restaurant portions seem a lot larger now than I remember them being when I was a kid.

2. Is a cup of rice (for instance) the visual equivalent of your fist?

I would say definitely no. I have measured a cup of rice (and cereal, and everything else I put into my mouth) and I know that a cup of rice is not as big (visually) as my fist.

3. What's one way you can make smaller portions seem like hearty portions?

I think that the trick (for me anyway) it to eat more than just three times a day. I find that if I have a piece fruit mid-morning and mid-afternoon, my lunch and dinner are more satisfying (and I'm not absolutely starving at meal times).

No comments: